Bonding With Your Hedgehog
Bonding with your hedgehog is that special relationship that exists between you and your hedgehog.
What is Bonding?
- The more time you spend with your hedgehog the easier it is for your hedgehog to learn about you and to grow to love and enjoy being around you and your family.
- Bonding is work! What you put in (persistence,understanding) is the same amount of attachment you will get back from your hedgehog.
- Hedgehogs have do not see well so using their other senses will increase bonding effectiveness.
Hedgehogs have a great sense of smell, use this to your advantage so that your hedgehog can more easily recognize you.
- A really good way to help your hedgehog get used to you is to put a shirt that you have slept in (without washing it) and place it over or in (if you don't mind not getting it back) the enclosure with your hedgehog.
- Try to avoid new lotions, perfumes, because the new scents may confuse your hedgehog since they can cover up your “original” scent.
Hedgehogs are very sensitive to sound, most ball up or prickle when they hear new or loud noises.
Sudden noise's like talking, doors opening and closing kids playing games can be upsetting to a hedgehog if the hedgehog is accustomed to silence.
- Talking to your hedgehog to help it get use to your voice.
- Talking to your hedgehog while holding, snuggling, playing will help your hedgehog learn that the sound of your voice means good things.
- Leaving the radio, music or T.V. on low can be soothing to your hedgehog. The white noise can help make new sounds less frighting.
- One of the easiest ways to work with your hedgehog is to simply hold your hedgehog on your lap for an hour or so while watching a movie.
- Don’t try to pet a shy hedgehog (prickled up or hiding in a ball) simply relax and let it come out on its own. Most of the time your hedgehog will uncurl and attempt to explore in just a few minutes.
- Other hedgehogs may take a little longer to begin to relax just be patient and wait for it come out to explore on its own terms.
Sit your hedgehog down on the floor in a safe room or area. Don’t try to touch your hedgehog, let it come to you out of
steed of being
garbed in fear.
- Place your hand several inches away from your hedgehog and allow it to come up to your hands and smell you.
- You will know your hedgehog is relaxed when its quills are laid down and it is moving about without flinching every time you move. Loud or sudden noise's may still scare a relaxed hedgehog, so make sure you do this in a quit, calm area.
- Let you hedgehog use you as a human playground, let it climb on you and explore.
Treats in abundance
You can offer your hedgehog treats from your hand to
encourage the fact that you are nice and fun to be around.
- Give your hedgehog a treat whenever it come over to you.
- Offer your hedgehog a treat before picking it up.
- Provided treats when your hedgehog is calm and relaxed in your hands.